Tuesday 18 September 2012

Peanut Butter Squares



Another Lorraine Pascale treat! I was sad to see the end of her TV show last night, I have really enjoyed it. She makes cooking seem so easy & effortless. Last night we saw her make these peanut butter squares, which looked amazing! The Wee man had a friend round this afternoon, so thought we would get stuck in & make these. They are very tasty, if a little sweet for my taste. The kids wolfed them down though! These would be nice to share at a coffee morning or school bake sale.

150g butter
200g dark or milk chocolate,(I used a mix of both)
250g digestive biscuits
200g light brown sugar
300g peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line a deep baking tray with greaseproof paper, allowing some overhang to make it easy to remove later.

Melt the butter in a saucepan on a low heat. Crush/whizz up the digestive biscuits until you have fine crumbs. Add the sugar. Melt the chocolate in either a banne marie or in the microwave. Mix the melted butter to the digestive/sugar mix, then add the vanilla extract. Mix in the peanut butter and then spoon into your baking tray. Smooth over and then pour the melted chocolate over the top. Allow to set in the fridge for at least an hour. remove & chop into squares.

8 comments:

  1. I love the look of these and would be making them tomorrow if it wasn't for my daughters peanut allergy! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to add something else instead - not a big fan of marshmallows in them, any suggestions? Love the blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could put a layer of caramel in between the biscuit base & the chocolate layer ... use a tin of Carnation caramel, or as do, boil a tin of carnation condensed milk for 3 hours in a large pan of boiling water!

      Delete
    2. Yum, now you're talking! Although I must admit the fact that they were a bit healthier than a chocolate caramel slice was what drew me to them in the first place - but if that's what you insist I make... maybe I'll do it next week when the wife is away and no-one (apart from my expanding waistline) shall be any the wiser...

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a plan! Is she allergic to all nuts? You can get other nut butters in Holland & Barrett that could be used instead :)

      Delete
    4. We're not sure - we no peanuts are a big no-no and because of that we are avoiding them all for now until she is a little bit older, then we can make a decision or go for some skin prick tests - oh well, just have to stick to choccy and caramel for now, life is tough!

      Delete
  2. ive made some of these today jen, very yummy indeed. did you manage to cut yours ok only a couple of mine cracked a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran my knife under the hot tap quickly before I cut them, so no cracking :)

      Delete
  3. Made these today and they were lovely - very easy to make. I used crunch peanut butter and that was good (just a little bit of a crunch). In fact these are that good I think they should be illegal !! ;)

    ReplyDelete