Tuesday 11 September 2012

French Onion Soup



I saw this recipe on Lorraine Pascale's programme last night, had all the ingredients at hand, so of course I had to make it! I was also watching River Cottage re-runs, one where Hugh was making soda bread. So I made that too! The soup was really simple (as always) to make but tasted delicious. The kids have all had seconds! Dipping the warm, fresh soda bread into just made it top notch.

4 large onions
1 bay leaf
knob of butter & drizzle of olive oil
handfull of sage, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 litre good quality beef stock

Chop the onion into very thin, long chunks. Heat the butter & oil over a medium heat in a large pan. Add the onions. bay leaf and stir. Cover with a lid and allow to soften for 25 minutes, stirring now and again. Once they are all lovely & soft, add the chopped sage, flour and garlic. Stir for 2 minutes, then add the stock. Season and then turn up the heat to simmer, covered, for about 3 or 4 minutes. It is then ready to serve! Lorraine says to serve with giant mustardy cheese toasts, but I used freshly baked soda bread.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,
    My name is Laura, Community Manager at Gourmandize UK & Ireland and I'd like to say a big congratulations on your blog! I really love this recipe in particular for a winter's night, and your easy M&M's cake to impress at birthdays!

    I'm just contacting you to see if you would be available for an interview about your blog this week? Either via email or phone.
    If interested, you can contact me at laura@gourmandize.co.uk

    Also, as a side note, we are looking for one foodie from the UK & Ireland to take on a free weekend food tour to Paris and I think you should consider entering. Check out this link, if you'd like to know more: http://www.gourmandize.co.uk/article-37-the-paris-food-trip-2014-challenge.htm

    Well, I hope that wasn't information overload!

    I hope to hear from you soon,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete