Monday 17 September 2012

Butternut & Nut Butter Soup



This was delicious! I only decided to make it because I had half a butternut squash left in the fridge, and no idea what to do with it. I watched a River Cottage re-run, and this was one of their featured recipes. I served it with some crusty rolls that I made from my no-knead bread dough. I had a friend over, and she agreed that it was an amazing lunch :) She liked it so much, she left here and went directly to the supermarket to buy the ingredients to make it herself.

Serves around 5 hungry people!

1 butternut squash,peeled,cut in half, seeds removed and chopped into 1 cm cubes
1 medium onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, crushed
Pinch of dried chilli (or used finely diced fresh)
1 litre of stock (chicken or vegetable)
3 cm chunk of ginger, peeled & grated
200g peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, your preference)
Juice of 1 lime
Handful of chopped coriander


Melt a knob of butter in a large saucepan. Lightly fry the onion until the onions are translucent. Add the chilli, ginger & garlic and fry for a few more minutes. Add the stock & the butternut squash and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Blitz the soup until smooth. Add the peanut butter while the soup is still hot, and allow to melt in. Stir & season.

When you are ready to serve, bring the soup to the desired temperature, add the lime juice & coriander and then serve into soup bowls. Delicious with crusty bread to dip in.

2 comments:

  1. That looks great, I think you'd really like this too which I've made and loved.
    http://www.simply-vegetarian.com/african_peanut_stew.html

    ReplyDelete