Thursday 17 May 2012

Toad in the Hole - with a difference


I apologise for the poor photographs! My camera just didnt like the light in my house today - I blame the grey clouds & rain we have had ALL day. Let me tell you though, this tasted amazing! Everyone agreed that this was much better than your average toad in the hole dish. The Wee Man even declared that he only ever wanted this version from now on. The original recipe is in the Lisa Faulkner book I bought recently, this brings my successes from the book up to 3, with just one that I wouldnt try again (crispy chicken, which I blogged about last week). We had some delicious jersey roaysl with this, plus kale and onion gravy - just what you want on a dreicht day!

500 g sausagemeat or 8 skinned sausages
1 shallot, finely chopped (I used half an onion)
1 apple, cored, peeled & grated
4 streaky bacon rashers, chopped
1 tblspoon chopped sage
1 garlic clove finely chopped
salt & pepper

175g plain flour
teaspoon mustard powder
4 eggs
450ml milk

Start by makingthe batter - put the flour, mustard powder & salt/pepper in a bowl. Mix the eggs & milk together, and gradually combine with the dry ingredients. Whisk until you have a smooth batter, the put aside. Put some oil in a large roasting tin, and put into a preheated oven (180c). In a large bowl, combine the sausage meat, apple, shallot, garlic, bacon & sage and thoroughly mix.  Season, then make into about 10 or so balls. Fry in a little oil in a pan, until browned. Tip into the heated oil from the oven, then pour in the batter mix. Place back into the oven for about 40 minutes, until all puffy & golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. ooo gorgeous - will definitely try this one! Looks like it's a good book.

    ReplyDelete