Tuesday 1 May 2012

Cypriot Stuffed Chicken



The kids devoured their macaroni cheese hours ago, and have all dispersed to various clubs, leaving my husband and I to enjoy our own dinner in peace! I thought the flavours in this dish may be a bit too strong for them. I picked it because I had some feta in the fridge needing to be used, and as I grow my own herbs, I knew I had most of the ingredients before even going shopping! I had no idea what to serve with this, so opted for a salad with a homemade lemon dressing & toasted pine nuts. I think coucous or rice would be good too.

Ingredients: to serve 2

Small handfull of fresh flat-leaf parsley
Small handfull of fresh basil
4 jarred sun-dried tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
50g feta cheese
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
2 chicken breasts
Olive oil
Few sprigs of fresh rosemary

Finely chop the basil, parsley, tomatoes & garlic with a drizzle of the oil from the jar of tomatoes, mixing it all up as you go. Crumble in the feta, and add teh lemon zest. Mix. Slice the chicken breasts, and stuff with the mixture. Secure with a coktail stick. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan to a medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and cover with a piece of greaseproof paper (that has been run under a tap then shaken off - makes the paper more manageable). Leave for 5-10 minutes, until golden on one side. Flip over carefully, chuck in the rosemary, recover & let cook for another 10 minutes. Check the chicken is cooked through, and serve.

1 comment:

  1. this looks totally delicious. Agree that I might not try it for my kids either - they're not big on feta, but give them time...

    ReplyDelete