Tuesday 8 May 2012

Chickpea & ketchup curry


When putting together this weeks meal plan, I decided I would have another go at a curry. I went for 2 different kinds, one meat based & one vegetarian. The meat one is the same sauce that I made here but I added beef & mushrooms, and omitted the almond/cream & coconut. I made this the night before, froze half & left the rest to improve over night. The 2nd curry was from the River Cottage Veg Everyday cookbook, from the "store cupboard meals" section. I think most peopke would have the ingredients to hand, so perfect for a last minute meal. It also only took 25 minutes at most to put together! I added a dollop of yogurt to my beef curry as it was a bit spicy for me, but I have a week palatte for heat.

  • 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
  • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 2cm piece of ginger, finely grated
  • A pinch of dried chilli flakes
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder or paste
  • 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 5 tablespoons tomato ketchup
  • Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • A handful of coriander, to finish 

Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and sweat for around 8 minutes, until soft and golden, then stir in the ginger, chilli flakes, garlic and curry powder or paste. Fry, stirring, for 1–2 minutes more.
Add the chickpeas, tomato ketchup and enough water to just loosen to a thick sauce consistency. Simmer gently for about 5 minutes, then stir in the lemon juice. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
Serve in warmed bowls scattered with coriander leaves.

2 comments:

  1. Oh you made the chickpea and ketchup curry - I keep looking at it and wondering what it would be like! Was it good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really nice! Surprisingly so, as it was so quick to make.

      Delete