Wednesday 16 May 2012

Crispy beef & broccoli



This took mere minutes to make! If you are looking for a quick & simple dinner, this is it. I used pre-cooked rice, but next time I intend to use noodles. The original recipe here uses chilli, but I didnt think any of my children would enjoy that, so I left it out of my version. I think I might add some carrot & beanspouts next time too. If you dont have spring onions, normal onions wouldnt be too out of place in this dish.I also used less sugar than the original recipe.

  • oil , for frying
  • 300g minute or thin-cut sirloin steaks , sliced into thin strips and tossed with 3 tbsp cornflour
  • tenderstem broccoli florets
  • 2 garlic cloves , sliced
  • A 5cm piece ginger , finely chopped
  • ½ bunch spring onion , sliced on the diagonal
  • 4 tbsp soy sauce mixed with 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tblsp lime juice
  • Noodles or rice to serve
 Heat a 5cm depth of oil in a wok until very hot. Fry the steak in batches until dark and crisp. Drain. Pour off most of the oil and stir-fry the broccoli, garlic, ginger and spring onion for 1 minute. Tip in the sweetened soy sauce and lime juice and cook for 2 minutes. Toss in the beef and rice/noodles, heat through and serve.

2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! Definitely one I intend to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd definitely add that in on one of my Chinese nights.

    ReplyDelete