Thursday 16 August 2012

Five Spice, Ginger & Soy Poussin

I have always wanted to try poussin, no idea why really! I saw them reduced in Tesco, so bought some to try out. After reading up about them, I realised that they need a sauce or marinade as they don't have as much flavour as chicken. I found a recipe on the Good Food website that took my fancy, so adapted it slightly. Poussin are fiddly to eat I found, hard to get all the meat without getting messy! I'm not sure if I would try them again, but they do look impressive as a dinner party meal. I served mine with a green herb salad drizzled with a toasted sesame & ginger dressing.

2 poussin
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
vegetable oil
5 garlic cloves , peeled and sliced
a thumb-sized piece root ginger , cut into matchsticks
250ml chicken stock
125ml red wine
100ml soy sauce
  
Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Season the poussins, put in a large roasting dish and drizzle with the honey and 5-spice. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, fry the garlic and ginger for 2 minutes, then add all the liquids. Simmer for 10 minutes then pour over the poussins and cover with foil. 

Roast for 30 minutes, then remove the foil, turn the oven up to 220C/fan 200C/gas 6 and cook for another 20 minutes. Cut each poussin in half with a sharp knife or kitchen scissors and spoon over some of the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment