Monday 27 August 2012

Buttermilk Roast Chicken



I have seen numerous recipes online that involve brining chicken in buttermilk, so when I saw some in Morrisons I grabbed some to try this out. It was well worth it! The chicken is so moist & tender after roasting, and had such a lovely flavour. I think next time I may try brining for 24 hours, I did it for around 6 hours today. Everyone loved it, and I had used cheap chicken quarters so was a great value meal too. I served ours with sauteed potatoes and sweetcorn.

4 chicken portions
1 carton buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, bruised and skins removed
Lots of salt & pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, then pour over the chicken pieces. Allow to marinate for as long as possible (at least 2 hours, preferably over 12).

Preheat the oven to 200C. Place the chicken pieces on a roasting tray, and pour a tablespoon of the buttermilk mixture over each one. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, until beautifully coloured & cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment