Wednesday 22 August 2012

Creamy Mushroom and Basil Chicken


Some days I like to eat low carb, and this a perfect dinner for those days! I serve potatoes for everyone else, and just some extra chicken for me. I love mushrooms, and I love cream, so this was a winner in my book. 

Serves 4  

1 tbsp olive oil or butter (or a mix)
8 chicken thighs
A small pinch of salt and pepper
12 mushrooms, sliced
1 leek, sliced 
200ml chicken stock 
150 g double cream
100 g peas (frozen or fresh)
A handful of basil
 New potatoes, boiled, to serve


Heat the oil in a large heavy based frying pan. Pat the chicken pieces dry with kitchen towel, season and fry skin side down for a couple of minutes to colour. Turn the chicken over and cook for another couple of minutes to colour on the other side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Now fry the mushrooms and leeks in the same pan for a few minutes until softened then set aside. Transfer the chicken back into the pan and pour the chicken stock over and cook on a low heat until for around 5 -10 minutes until cooked all the way through.
Next stir in the double cream, some of the basil, peas, leeks and cooked mushrooms and heat through for a couple of minutes. Garnish with basil and serve with boiled new potatoes.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, just perfect and not too creamy. This is going to become a regular in our house! I could'nt get enough of it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too, and the friend that I cooked it for took the recipe home with her & has made it again too :) Definitely a winner!

      Delete
  2. this looks lovely Jen, but i am on a diet so cream is a no no - do you think it could be substitued in this recipe ?

    ReplyDelete