Tuesday 26 June 2012

Homemade Pizza



Using my favourite book, The Takeaway Secret, I made these pizzas for lunch yesterday. The kids are having the leftovers in their packed lunches. I have made the thin crust version in the past, and I think I prefer that to this medium one. I made double quantities of the sauce (mostly because the passata I bought was 500ml and I didn't have any use for the other half) so now have some in the freezer for next time. You can put whatever toppings you like, I used up leftovers! Sweetcorn, onion & cherry tomatoes with grated mozzarella cheese.

Pizza Dough (makes 2 10inch medium crust pizza bases)

300g strong white bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp active dried yeast
210ml water

In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, sugar, oil and yeast. Slowly add the water & mix until it becomes a sticky dough. Place on a floured surface & knead for 4 minutes until you have a smooth dough. Rub a bowl with a little oil, place the ball of dough inside & cover with cling film. Allow to rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size.

Knock the air out of the dough, divide into 2 balls  and knead those for another minute. Place each ball into a small bowl & place in the fridge for 2 hours. After this, the dough is ready to use or to be frozen.

Sweet Pizza Sauce

250 ml passata
1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp mixed Italian herbs

Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan & simmer for 5-6 minutes, until thickened. Use on pizza dough or keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.





No comments:

Post a Comment