Saturday 17 November 2012

Slow Cooker Boston Baked beans



I love to cook a gammon joint in my slow cooker with nothing but 2 tablespoons of brown sugar in with it. The meat that comes out is amazing! As soon as I remove the gammon though, I am left with a crock pot full of gammon & brown sugar stock, which seems a shame to waste. This time I added some beans & other ingredients, plus some left over shredded gammon, and created these tasty boston baked beans. They were fab on jacket potatoes topped with cheese.

Leftover gammon & brown sugar liquid from slow cooker
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp tomato purée
1 tbsp maple syrup
 2 tsp English mustard powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 x 400g cans cannellini or haricot beans, drained and rinsed - I used a tin of both
Leftover shredded gammon

Just add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, and cook on low for as long as you can. Mine were on for about 8 hours.

7 comments:

  1. I was just about to do that gammon - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really curious - do you put any water/stock or lieterally just the sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No liquid! You get loads from the sugar & gammon juices, honestly.

      Delete
    2. Thanks - I'll give it a whirl :-)

      Delete
  3. In fact I loved this idea so much that I completely shelved my original idea for dinner and made this instead.

    http://screenfulofwords.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/i-love-my-slowcooker-ham-and-beans/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie - I liked your post about this but couldn't leave a comment. I'm going to give the ham in sugar a whirl on Thursday...

      Delete